UTAH – August 18, 2020
The May 29, 2020, retirement of Utah First District Court Judge Thomas L. Willmore, has opened up a vacancy for candidates eligible and interested in the judicial position.
Utah’s First District Court, which covers Box Elder, Cache and Rich counties, has narrowed down their list of nominees to five qualified candidates. They include:
· Shawn Bailey, partner, Peck Hadfield Baxter & Moore, LLC
· Wayne Caldwell, partner, Bearnson & Caldwell, LLC
· R. Christian Hansen, attorney, Hillyard, Anderson & Olsen, P.C.
· Matthew Lorz, judge, North Logan/Hyde Park Justice Court
· Spencer Walsh, chief prosecutor, Cache County Attorney’s Office
The Nominating Commission is accepting written comments from the public that will be reviewed by the commission. Written comments are due by noon on August 23, 2020 and can be submitted to:
Criminal and Juvenile Justice
P.O. Box 142330
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2330
After the public comment period is over, the names of those candidates will be sent to Utah Governor Gary Herbert. Governor Herbert will have 30 days to make his selection and appointment after which the Utah Senate will confirm the appointee.
Find the full press release below: