BEAR RIVER HIGH – By Cari Doutre – December 23, 2020
Green Canyon High School made a big impact when their varsity boys’ and girls’ swim teams visited Bear River High School on Dec. 17, 2020.
The end result was an overall team loss for the Bears 94-74 to the Wolves in Region 11 play. This loss for the Bears puts them at an overall 0-2 record in region. Bear River took a loss to Mountain Crest High School on Dec. 10, 98-82. Earlier in the season the Bears beat Judge Memorial High School (non-region) on Dec. 8, with a score of 86-83.
Up next for the Bears is a winter break before hosting Logan High School in a region meet on Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021.
Although Green Canyon High outswam the Bears, it didn’t mean the Wolves completely dominated every race. Bear River put five first place individual wins on the board and a first-place win in a medley event.
Senior Madyson Mickelsen came up big for the Bears taking first place in the girls’ 100m. fly with a time of 1:16.20. Not to be outdone, she also took first place in the girls’ 100m. backstroke at 1:13.21.
Story continues below...
Melodie Anderson took first place in the girls’ 100m. breaststroke race for the Bears with a time of 57.08 seconds.
Bear River’s Hayden Swain-Schmit took first place in the varsity boys’ 100m. backstroke race with a time of 1:15.71.
Jefferson Kowallis also had a first-place finish in the boys’ 100m. breaststroke race (1:14.06).
In the boys’ 400m. free relay, Bear River took first place with a time of 4:29.75, with Jefferson Kowallis, Keeghan Gibbs, Jonah Dean and Carson Noorda earning the win.
Taking second place at the meet for the Bears in individual and medley races includes:
* Girls’ 200m. medley relay – Madyson Mickelsen, Shannon Hyer, Morgan Mickelsen and Braidyn Page (2:26.30)
* Boys’ 200m. medley relay - Keegan Hadley, Kelton Marshall, Jefferson Kowallis and Jonah Dean (2:07.27)
* Morgan Mickelsen - girls’ 200m. IM (2:57.02)
* Jefferson Kowallis – boys’ 200m. IM (2:34.16)
* Jonah Dean – boys’ 100m. fly (1:12.57)
* Boys’ 200m. free relay – Keegan Hadley, Carson Noorda, Keeghan Gibbs and Kelton Marshall (1:57.73)
* Keegan Hadley – boys’ 400m. free (5:05.18)
* Garrett Griffin – boys’ 100m. back (1:16.03)
* Morgan Mickelsen – girls’ 100m. breaststroke (1:35.56)