BOX ELDER COUNTY - By Cari Doutre - March 27, 2020
Utah Governor Gary Herbert announced on March 23, 2020 that all K-12 public schools in Utah are extending their dismissal through May 1. Individual school districts will determine what is best for their students and district.
Box Elder School District will continue with soft closures which includes online learning at home for students. More information can be found below.
School buses in Box Elder School District will no longer be delivering breakfast and lunch to bus stops in the county as of March 27.
The district will move to a summer meal program that is free to children 0-18.
Meals are available from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon) for lunch and breakfast (for the next day) in grab and go bags.
No breakfast on April 6, 2020
Meals will be available curbside
Children must be there to pick up their own meals (Federal Food Program requirement)
Park Valley School (Monday to Thursday)
Alice C. Harris Intermediate
Bear River High School
Mountain View Elementary
Three Mile Creek
Adele C. Young Intermediate School
Box Elder Middle School
Box Elder High School
BOX ELDER SCHOOL DISTRICT: https://www.besd.net/
Utah Governor Gary Herbert announced on Friday, March 13, that all public schools will be dismissed, or implement a “soft close” for two weeks starting March 16.
“We feel strongly that the best way to keep our communities healthy is to implement these measures early, rather than late,” Herbert said in a press conference.
All school districts in Utah will determine what is best for their community.
BOX ELDER SCHOOL DISTRICT’S DISMISSAL OR “SOFT CLOSURE” PLANS:
“This school closure is a preventative measure to decrease the spread of coronavirus. A soft school closure means that students will be dismissed from school, but facilities would be kept open and staff will continue to work,” Box Elder School District stated in a letter sent to parents on March 13.
- Beginning Wednesday, March 18, students will be learning at home via online curriculum. For students without access to internet, a curriculum can be picked up at their school or mailed to them via USPS.
- For students that don’t have devices at home for the online curriculum, Chromebook’s can be checked out and used at home.
All extracurricular school activities, including those associated with the Utah High School Activities Association, are suspended for two weeks. This includes all high school sports and all other activities (school dances, events, etc.). More on UHSAA suspensions can be found below.
“We appreciate the community working together to minimize any spread of the coronavirus throughout the district. As a district, we are encouraging all parents to limit large group gatherings during this time.” - Box Elder School District March 13, 2020 parent email.
OTHER BOX ELDER SCHOOL DISTRICT CLOSURES:
- The Bear River Natatorium will be closed until April 6. Swim lessons are postponed.
- The Box Elder Natatorium will be closed until April 6 or until further notice. Swim lessons are postponed.
UTAH HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATION: https://www.uhsaa.org/index.php
- All UHSAA spring activities will be suspended starting Monday, March 16, until May 1, 2020.
- Those suspended activities include all team practices and gatherings.
- Member schools and/or districts may suspend spring activities immediately.
- All out of state school related travel has been suspended for at least two weeks.